The 2020 edition of this essential compliance training webinar provides updates on new, currently active IRS enforcement campaigns and current IRS administration of the B Notice and information return penalty programs. Regulatory and revenue procedure basic procedures will be explained for the three stages of compliance: initial vendor setup; required actions when IRS Notice CP2100 (“B Notice”) is received; response to IRS Notice 972-CG (notice of proposed penalty). Essentials include:
- Do your internal procedures for setting up vendors and other payees include all required steps for “TIN solicitation” – the process of obtaining tax identification numbers according to IRS rules including up to three attempts for reportable payees?
- Are you using available resources to validate whether a tax ID number matches your 1099 reportable payee?
- Are you backup withholding federal income tax from certain payments when required by tax regulations?
- Is your organization alert for receipt and correct processing of B Notices (CP 2100/2100A)?
- Do you fully carry out and document the required IRS procedures for B Notices?
- Are you prepared to respond to IRS proposed penalty notices (972CG) using your documented TIN solicitation, B Notice and backup withholding history?
- Solicit tax identification numbers from payees as required by tax regulations, and apply backup withholding to certain payments as required by tax regulations.
Marianne Couch, JD - Principal, Cokala Tax Information Reporting Solutions, LLC
Marianne Couch, JD, is a Principal in the Cokala tax group and an experienced and well-known advisor on U.S. federal and state tax information reporting compliance. She is a frequent lecturer at major tax conferences and the author of The Master Guide to Form 1099 Compliance, The Master Guide to Form 1042-S Compliance and numerous published articles. Prior to co-founding Cokala in 2007, she was for many years the Research Director of the tax reporting specialty firm Balance Consulting, and chaired special training and advisory services provided to large organizations and academic and nonprofit institutions.
Marianne was an appointee for three years to the IRS Commissioner’s Information Reporting Program Advisory Committee (IRPAC), where she was Chair of the IRPAC Subcommittee on Small Business and Self-Employed (SBSE) tax issues.
Marianne formerly served as a Research Attorney for the Michigan Court of Appeals, and earlier as a litigator for a large Michigan law firm, where she represented individuals and large clients in many types of civil actions. She received her JD, cum laude, from the Michigan State University School of Law, and is a member of the State Bar of Michigan.
Continuing education credits available!
Continuing Education for IOFM Certification
Receive 2 CEUs toward maintaining a certification with IOFM! IOFM's premier certification programs are designed to establish standards for the industry and recognize financial operations professionals who, by possessing related work experience and passing a comprehensive exam, have met stringent requirements for mastering the body of knowledge in their profession. Additional rules may apply, depending on your certification. See full guidelines here.
Continuing Professional Education for NASBA
Receive 1.5 CPEs towards a CPA license with NASBA. IOFM, A Diversified Business Communications Company, is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors (Sponsor number: 112048) State Boards of Accountancy have the final authority on the acceptance of individual course for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org. For more information about our NASBA CPE Policies, visit IOFM.com/nasba-cpe.
To cancel your registration for this event, simply contact IOFM customer service at [email protected] (or call 207-842-5557) no later than 24 hours prior to the scheduled start of the event. You can choose to access the full recorded event, or, your credit may be applied toward the purchase of any IOFM product or interactive event. If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with this program, we will provide a full refund — no questions asked!
For more information:
Contact Customer Service:
Phone: (207) 842-5557
Email: [email protected]