Service performed in India, but paid in the U.S. -- W-8 or W-9?

January 4, 2019


Q. If I have a vendor that wants payment in U.S., but work is being done in Inida, what forms do I require for payment: W-9 or W-8? A. If the vendor is a U.S. vendor, it should provide a Form W-9, even if conducting services in India.  If making a reportable payment to a U.S. vendor, it is reportable regardless of where the vendor is located or services are peformed, as U.S. persons are subject to U.S. tax on worldwide income.  If the vendor is a non-U.S. vendor, it should provide the…

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise member — or upgrade your Starter membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500