1099 reporting of incentives

November 24, 2019


Q.¬†We are conducting patron interviews with patrons who are parents/caregivers of children. As customary, we want to give the participants incentives ($50 cash cards). In addition, we would offer to reimburse participants for childcare, about $20/hour. Should we report both pieces (gift card and reimbursement) on a 1099-MISC? And if we do, which box we should report it on? Also, we would need to collect the W-9 form from these participants, right? A. (Answered by COKALA Tax Information…

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise Member — or upgrade your Starter Membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500