Backup withholding done in error

March 7, 2021


Q. We placed a payee on backup withholding, but we have now found out the payee is a government entity and is not subject to 1099 reporting and backup withholding. How can we request the payment to be returned to us from the IRS? We do not anticipate to have any additional backup withholding payments to the IRS so holding this as a credit is not an option. Do you know of a contact number or form that is required to request this?  A. (Answered by a 3rd party, independent advisory services firm…

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise Member — or upgrade your Starter Membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500