How to 1099-report housing relief payments made to a landlord

April 14, 2021


Q.¬†One of our departments issues emergency rent payments on behalf of beneficiaries that are in need of this help. This is for people that are low income and receiving some type of welfare benefits. Are these payments considered income to recipients and reported on the 1099-NEC or are they rent payments reportable to the landlord on the 1099-MISC? The payments are made directly to the landlord on behalf of the beneficiary. A. (Answered by a 3rd party, independent advisory services firm offering…

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise Member — or upgrade your Starter Membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500