Resolving outstanding employee checks issued by a benefit provider

February 18, 2021


Q. One of our benefit providers issues checks to employees for various reasons. For their list of outstanding checks, they remit payment to our company for the amounts, and the expectation is that we resolve or escheat. This is new to me. How would we handle escheating funds that we didn't issue the payment for in the first place?  Would the last known address of the employee be the state that funds are remitted to or is it our state of incorporation? When does the escheatment clock start:…

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise Member — or upgrade your Starter Membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500