Travel expenses for a deceased student's parents

October 30, 2019


Q.¬†We would like to know the taxable implications for travel expenses paid to a deceased student's parents. We are paying travel expenses for the parents of a student to come to the university from another state and claim their child's body. Should we report these expenses paid to the parents to the IRS as a manual 1099 (other income)? Is there is a rule from the IRS that would prevent us to report these payment due to the type of event? A. (Answered by COKALA Tax Information Reporting…

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise Member — or upgrade your Starter Membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500