Withholding for a resident of Zimbabwe

September 14, 2020


Q.¬†We have a scholar who is coming from Zimbabwe to US for a one-year fellowship program later this month. We will pay him a monthly fee. Since the US doesn't have a tax treaty with Zimbabwe, we will withhold federal tax from the payment. Does he need to provide us the ITIN or foreign ID when he fills out the W-8BEN? Do we need the ITIN or foreign ID when we fill out the 1042-S? Also, he didn't apply for the ITIN yet, and we were told that they don't have a tax ID in Zimbabwe. Do we need to…

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise Member — or upgrade your Starter Membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500