What to do about small amounts missed in 1099 reporting?

October 30, 2018


Q. I have just realized (in late May) that I missed reporting 1099 payments ... these were small amounts paid to multiple companies. Would I want to send 1099 corrections and amended 1099s for last year, or just roll that into this year's reporting? Is there a threshold for this type of situation? We missed around $1,000 among 30 companies. A.  You cannot roll into tax reporting for the current tax year payments you made in in the previous one. For 1099s filed after 12/31/16, if the dollar…

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise member — or upgrade your Starter membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500