US Entities: Validations Required for US Vendors
April 11, 2019
If you work in a Finance, Accounting, Purchasing or Accounts Payable Department of a US Agency or Entity and are responsible for setting up vendors in your Accounting System or ERP – this blog post is for you. The information in this episode will keep you compliant with regulatory agencies and will also ensure that you are validating that the vendor is real, and the data is not fraudulent prior to adding the vendor to the vendor master file. And that’s what we want folks – real vendors!
- Vendor Legal Name and Tax ID Validated Against Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Records
- Vendor Legal Name against Specially Designated Nationals List (SDN) from the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)
- Vendor Address Validated against US Postal Service (US) and Google Earth
Additional Requirements If the Payment Method is ACH/Wire
- Vendor Bank Name against Specially Designated Nationals list (SDN) from the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)
Additional Requirement if the Vendor is a Non-Profit Vendor
- Vendor Legal Name and Tax ID validated against Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Records for Exempt Organizations (EO)
Additional Requirement If You Are a Government Agency or Entity
- Vendor Legal Name Against System for Award Management (SAM)
Additional Requirements If Your Company is a Healthcare Organization
- Vendor Legal Name Against Exclusion List of Office of Inspector General (OIG)
Subscribe today to be entered into the subscriber only monthly drawing to win a free Putting the AP in hAPpy Coffee Mug.
Vendor Setup & Maintenance Additional Resources:
Vendor Validation Reference List - (scroll to footer)
Need Help Cleaning the Vendor Master File?
Need Vendor Master File training?
Accounts Payable Gifts - Are you, your co-workers or your team Putting the AP in hAPpy?
Music Credit: www.purple-planet.com
Listen below and subscribe on iTunes today.
Debra R Richardson, MBA, APM, CPRS
Owner, Debra R Richardson, LLC
President, Oklahoma Central Region IOFM Chapter
Accounts Payable Speaker | Consultant | Trainer
www.debrarrichardson.com | [email protected]
Debra is an accounts payable speaker, consultant, and trainer with over 20 years of experience in AP, AR, general ledger, and financial reporting for Fortune 500 companies including Verizon, General Motors and Aramark.
For the past eight years, Debra has focused on Global Vendor Maintenance, and implemented a vendor self-registration portal for 140k+ global vendors across five ERPs. In her consultancy, she focuses on internal controls and authentication to prevent fraud in the vendor master file.
Debra now focuses on protecting the vendor master file from fraud.
She hosts a weekly podcast: “Putting the AP in hAPpy”.