IOFM Members rely on “Ask the Expert” whenever they’re stumped. IOFM's tax experts are standing by, ready to answer your 1099 compliance questions. And a panel of more than 100 AP practice leaders are also on call for your next best practice question.

1099-K for government municipalities

February 16, 2024
February 16, 2024


Q. 1099-K reporting instructions reflect 1099-K is required for governmental units accepting payments cards. Government entities are confused with the receipt of a 1099-K because these entities are exempt for all other 1099 MISC or 1099 NEC reporting, as a government and tax-exempt business. We are often asked "what should they do with their 1099-K form". Please provide a suggested approach to present and explain 1099-K to government clients accepting credit/debit cards.  A. (Answered by IOFM's…

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise Member — or upgrade your Starter Membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500