IOFM Members rely on “Ask the Expert” whenever they’re stumped. IOFM's tax experts are standing by, ready to answer your 1099 compliance questions. And a panel of more than 100 AP practice leaders are also on call for your next best practice question.

Buying gift cards through a third-party issuer

August 31, 2023
August 31, 2023


Q. Our company will be issuing incentive gift cards to our customers through a 3rd party supplier. Our company is not directly paying the gift cards out, but rather buying them through the 3rd party supplier and they will issue and send out gift cards to the awarded individual. Since the 3rd party is issuing the payment, are they in charge of creating a 1099-MISC for the individual, or would that be the responsibility of our company? A. (Answered by IOFM's third-party tax experts) Any Form 1099…

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise Member — or upgrade your Starter Membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500