IOFM Members rely on “Ask the Expert” whenever they’re stumped. IOFM's tax experts are standing by, ready to answer your 1099 compliance questions. And a panel of more than 100 AP practice leaders are also on call for your next best practice question.

Reporting Compensation for Easements: 1099-S Requirements for Non-Cash Payments

March 27, 2024
March 27, 2024


Q. If we compensate a landowner for an easement longer than 30 years with something other than cash, would we still issue a 1099s? Let's say we purchased an appliance, or other material that is for his use, would we send a 1099S even if we don't intend to ever pay him cash? This would be a one time deal, we always pay with cash. A. Answered by IOFM's third-party tax experts. An easement with an ownership interest term greater than 30 years is 1099-S reportable when compensation meeting the $600…

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500