Reporting of gifts to non-resident aliens

November 15, 2022


Q. Our foundation procured funds through crowndfunding to help a Ukranian refugee who is currently a temporary employee of the University. What reporting is required? We know that a 1099-K is issued for payments for crowdfunding, but is there also a requirement for a 1042-S? This is a gift and not payment for services.  A. (Answered by IOFM's third party tax experts) If the Foundation awarded the money to the individual, the award would be subject to regulations on 1042-S information reporting…

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise Member — or upgrade your Starter Membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500