IOFM Members rely on “Ask the Expert” whenever they’re stumped. IOFM's tax experts are standing by, ready to answer your 1099 compliance questions. And a panel of more than 100 AP practice leaders are also on call for your next best practice question.

Reporting payments to vendor with dual citizenship

February 16, 2024
February 16, 2024


Q. We made a payment to a vendor who resides in Vancouver, BC. They currently have dual citizenship with Canada and the United States. Which form would we file, a 1099 or a 1042-S? A. (Answered by IOFM's third-party tax experts) The appropriate Form 1099 (either 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC depending on what the payment was for).  A U.S. person remains reportable on Forms 1099 no matter where in the world the U.S. person is residing or performing services.  103621

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise Member — or upgrade your Starter Membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500