IOFM Members rely on “Ask the Expert” whenever they’re stumped. IOFM's tax experts are standing by, ready to answer your 1099 compliance questions. And a panel of more than 100 AP practice leaders are also on call for your next best practice question.

Which form to issue a Canadian company, a 1099 or a 1042?

November 6, 2023
November 6, 2023


Q. Our university is paying a company located in Alberta, Canada for a speaker who will be engaged virtually at an event here in Massachusetts. The Canadian company has provided its W-8BEN form to the University and has noted separately that the speaker is doing her preparation and presentation from her studio in Denver, Colorado. Per the Canadian company: "Since you are paying [us] for delivering the services to the University for researching, coordinating and contracting the Speaker and we…

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise Member — or upgrade your Starter Membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500