IOFM Members rely on “Ask the Expert” whenever they’re stumped. IOFM's tax experts are standing by, ready to answer your 1099 compliance questions. And a panel of more than 100 AP practice leaders are also on call for your next best practice question.

Foreign vendor providing a U.S. TIN on a W-8 form

May 3, 2023
May 3, 2023


Q. I'm not sure how to categorize a vendor who has provided a U.S. TIN on a W-8 form and has also provided a U.S. bank for ACH payment. I've asked for a W-9, but the vendor informs us that: "Though the account is a US domiciled account, the company is not US resident for tax purposes." Do I push for a W-9 in order to determine if they should receive a 1099 at year end? How do I handle this? A. (Answered byu IOFM's third-party tax experts) The IRS assigns EIN tax ID numbers beginning 98- to…

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise Member — or upgrade your Starter Membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500