IOFM Members rely on “Ask the Expert” whenever they’re stumped. IOFM's tax experts are standing by, ready to answer your 1099 compliance questions. And a panel of more than 100 AP practice leaders are also on call for your next best practice question.

Payments made to a U.S. hotel chain in Canada

March 10, 2023
March 10, 2023


Q. We had employees travel to Toronto, Canada for a conference and we made payments to the Sheraton Hotel for their lodging. Since Sheraton is a US company and is also a subsidiary of a US Company (Marriott International), do we have to report the payments on Form 1042-S? A. (Answered by IOFM's third-party tax experts) Hotels which have a common corporate name are sometimes corporate-owned and operated, but very often the actual owner and operator of such a hotel is a separate entity (often a…

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise Member — or upgrade your Starter Membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500