IOFM Members rely on “Ask the Expert” whenever they’re stumped. IOFM's tax experts are standing by, ready to answer your 1099 compliance questions. And a panel of more than 100 AP practice leaders are also on call for your next best practice question.

Rental income earned in the U.S. by foreign entities

January 6, 2022
January 6, 2022


Q. Is rental income earned in the United States by Canadian individuals/entities and other Foreign individuals/entities subject to the 30% IRS withholding? Currently, our organization helps local tenants with their payments during hardships, and we require a W-8 (these are foreign suppliers), and we need to know if we are required by the IRS to withhold 30% from the rental payment (we send them 70% of the rental amount and we send the IRS 30% of the rental payment). An example is Canadian…

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise Member — or upgrade your Starter Membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500