Reporting monthly stipends

September 13, 2021


Q. I work for a community college. We just acquired property for a 'writers' house.' Residents (writers) are non-employees offered a monthly stipend plus free housing to stay at the house and do creative writing. I'm certain the stipend should be reported in Box 3-Other Income, as they are not providing a service to us. But what about the free housing? Do we have to determine the value and report that on a 1099-MISC? If so, can you point me to the IRS regulation? A. (Answered by a 3rd party,…

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise Member — or upgrade your Starter Membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500