Reporting of a donation

September 1, 2022


Q. If our company wishes to make a one time donation to a deceased employee's family member, which form and box would it be reported for 1099? NEC? MISC? A. (Answered by IOFM's third-party tax experts) It would be reported in Box 3 ("Other income") on Form 1099-MISC, naming the family member as the recipient.  To avoid having to backup withhold federal income tax at 24% from the payment, the family member's social security number would be needed.  It would not be reported on a 1099-NEC because…

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise Member — or upgrade your Starter Membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500