Should we replace a 1099-NEC form with a 1099-MISC?

March 14, 2022


Q. I have a vendor who was issued a 1099-NEC. The payments were for "Credit Enhancement Fee" services provided by the vendor. The vendor has now requested that we rescind the 1099-NEC we issued and replace it with a 1099-MISC because their accountant told them that 1099-NEC income is subject to Social Security Tax and the service they provided was not "non-employee compensation". I am not familiar enough with this to determine if it should be reported on the 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC. Can anyone…

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise Member — or upgrade your Starter Membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500