Wrong 1099 form filed with the IRS

March 10, 2023
March 10, 2023


Q. We filed a 1099-NEC for to the IRS. The correct form should have been a 1099-DIV. My AP system does not support the 1099-DIV. How do I file direct to the IRS to file a correct Form 1099-DIV? A. (Answered by IOFM's third-party tax experts) You need to file a "Corrected" Form 1099-NEC to the IRS (and furnish a copy to the recipient/payee) in order to "zero out" the original 1099-NEC which was filed in error.  To file the Form 1099-DIV -- we noted that your email address indicates a bank, so…

  Become A Member

Join IOFM today as a Professional, Business, or Enterprise Member — or upgrade your Starter Membership — to get access to this content and thousands of other Articles, Webinars, Expert Answers, Resource Downloads, and more!

Join Today

Naturally, this forum doesn’t allow the kind of full information exchange necessary for the Institute of Finance & Management (IOFM) to provide legal advice and the Expert is not a tax attorney in any event. Please understand that the nature of our responses are limited by these constraints as well as the site’s Terms of Use. If you have further questions or suggestions about how we can improve IOFM, please let us know. 
Ask The Expert is a member resource of IOFM and all advice provided is subject to site’s Terms of Use.

Subscribe to our Monthly Insider

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500